If you’ve ever felt that nagging discomfort while typing at your desk, you’re not alone. Traditional keyboards, when used over time, can cause a range of painful symptoms such as sore wrists and shoulders.
As a business owner, you want the best for your employees. This includes an ergonomic workspace that boosts productivity and comfort. Fixed position ergonomic keyboards may seem like a worthwhile solution, but there are several reasons why this might do more harm than good.
Read on to learn more about fixed position ergonomic keyboards and why adjustable keyboards are the key to a happier, healthier work environment.
Fixed position ergonomic keyboards
When it comes to choosing the right keyboard, things can get a bit confusing. There are traditional flat keyboards, fixed position ergonomic keyboards, and adjustable ergonomic keyboards. Which do you choose?
First, let’s explore the fixed position ergonomic keyboards and why these may not be the best choice for your office.
What are fixed position ergonomic keyboards?
Fixed position ergonomic keyboards are designed to reduce strain on your wrists and fingers while typing. They often feature a split layout or a contoured shape, but here’s the catch -– their design remains constant and can’t be adjusted to fit the individual user.
Our hands, wrists, and typing habits are as unique as we are, so a single keyboard design can’t cater to everyone’s needs. Remember the golden rule: “If It Isn’t Adjustable, It Isn’t Ergonomic.™”
The problem with fixed position keyboards
Imagine wearing a pair of glasses that aren’t your exact prescription – they’re bound to cause discomfort. That’s what it’s like using a fixed position ergonomic keyboard that doesn’t align with your body’s unique dimensions.
Here’s why they can cause problems:
- Since fixed position keyboards come with a preset design, there’s little you can do to tailor them to your preferences. This lack of customization can lead to discomfort and strain over time.
- Fixed position keyboards can’t adjust to suit people with varying body sizes/frames, hand sizes, wrist angles, or typing styles. This inflexibility makes it difficult to create a truly ergonomic workstation.
- With their rigid design, fixed position ergonomic keyboards can force users into unnatural wrist positions, leading to radial or ulnar deviation, which is when your wrists bend outward (radial) or inward (ulnar) while typing.
- Every body shape is different, so your keyboard should conform to your body — not the other way around. Larger body frames may find a fixed keyboard too narrow (leading to ulnar deviation), while a petite body shape may find it too wide (leading to radial deviation).
- The spacing and curvature of keys on these keyboards may not suit everyone’s finger length and dexterity, resulting in an awkward typing experience and could worsen existing discomfort.
Surprisingly, it’s not just about comfort — fixed position keyboards can hurt productivity. If the keys aren’t positioned naturally, you can make more typing mistakes. In turn, work takes longer to complete and workers get frustrated.
While fixed position ergonomic keyboards may help some users avoid strain, their rigid design often fails to provide a truly personalized experience, potentially leading to discomfort and inefficiency.
Now that we’ve established the drawbacks of fixed position keyboards, let’s look at the benefits of their adjustable ergonomic keyboard counterparts.
Adjustable ergonomic keyboards
An adjustable ergonomic keyboard is fully customizable with a split design. The keyboard can move horizontally and vertically to ‘tent’ and ‘splay’ at an angle that suits the user’s body and preferred typing position.
The importance of adjustable ergonomic keyboards
Adjustable ergonomic keyboards offer the flexibility to adapt to each individual’s unique needs. You can adjust the exact position and change it if needed, for example, if you decide to adjust the keyboard at a gradual pace instead of all at once.
When employees feel comfortable at their workstations, they’re happier and more productive. Adjustable ergonomic keyboards help computer users work more comfortably , boosting employee morale and reducing strain-related issues.
Adjustable ergonomic keyboards reduce the risk of developing Repetitive Strain Injuries, like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and tendonitis, which develop over time. When you know how much better it feels to type on an adjustable ergonomic keyboard, you won’t want to go back to traditional or fixed position keyboards again. It is truly remarkable how our customers will write in and tell us about years long pains disappearing after using a Goldtouch ergonomic keyboard — Tendonitis, Gone! Arthritis in the arms and shoulders, Gone! Severe shoulder and neck pain, GONE!
It’s a win-win for both employees and employers, as fewer health problems mean reduced sick days and healthcare costs.
Put simply, fixed position ergonomic keyboards may seem like a good idea, but they fall short when it comes to meeting the diverse needs of your team.
Adjustable ergonomic keyboards, on the other hand, offer the flexibility and customization options needed to create a truly ergonomic workspace.
So, before you invest in new office equipment, take a moment to consider the benefits of adjustable ergonomic keyboards. By prioritizing comfort and adaptability, you’ll not only create a healthier work environment but also boost productivity and overall employee satisfaction.
Finding the perfect ergonomic keyboard can feel like a daunting task. Remember, the key to creating a comfortable and productive workspace lies in customization and adaptability.
To recap, here’s why fixed position keyboards may do more harm than good:
- You can’t tailor them to your typing preferences
- They don’t support all body shapes
- They can exacerbate office injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome
- Incorrect typing angle can cause radial deviation at the wrists
Adjustable ergonomic keyboards offer flexibility tailored to each individual’s needs. By making the switch, you’ll not only promote employee health and well-being but also contribute to better working conditions with less pains.
So, go ahead and give your office the upgrade it deserves. Check out Goldtouch adjustable keyboards and experience the difference true ergonomics can make.
Shop the Goldtouch adjustable keyboard range.